It is HARD to make Date Night happen when you’ve got kids and no money. BUT (and we all know this) it is so incredibly important to make time with your partner a priority. I love my husband, and I want to stay connected. I don’t want to lose who we are as a couple in the process of figuring out who we are as parents. So…
IDEAS FOR FREE DATE NIGHTS
I did some brainstorming with my people and came up with a list of 10 date nights that are 100% free. (Any food used could easily come from the week’s grocery trip without straining your budget.)
- movie + cocktails – Pick a movie and make themed cocktails. We’d most likely pair a Harry Potter movie with butterbeer, but you could be way more romantic if you like. Maybe watching When Harry Met Sally and drinking an “I’ll have what she’s having” dirty martini with a maraschino cherry is more your style.
- local farmers market – If you can swing a day date, head to your local farmers market. You can spend some time outside, enjoy the colors of all those foods and flowers, and feast on free samples. 😉
- walk in the park + picnic – Pack a picnic (from stuff you already have at home), and take a walk. Find a pretty spot to have a meal together, to hold hands, to chat… If you’re like me, simply eating at the same time is a rare event to be treasured.
- dining in – Have someone take your babies off your hands (or wait for them to go to sleep…oh wait…they don’t do that!) and make a meal at home. You can throw in some Netflix for dinner and a movie. Or you can spice things up by creating a cooking challenge à la Top Chef.
- game night – Pick a few of your favorites, grab a bottle of wine (or soda), and have fun! You could also make it a tournament of sorts if you’re feeling competitive.
- local bookstore – This one has the potential to be NOT free, but it’s one of my favorites. David and I used to go to the bookstore all of the time when we were first dating. We’d wander the aisles and read bits and pieces of the books we found interesting. I miss it. Now, I think it’d be a great way to have some non-kid conversation without forcing the issue.
- frisbee golf – If you have the discs, frisbee golf is free, free, free! If you don’t, I’m sure you know someone who would loan you two. Or you could probably find them at a garage sale, Craigslist, or OfferUp. It’s fun, and it’s outside. Yay!
- local concerts – Some towns/cities offer free concerts in the summer. Check your city website to find out! You could go after dinner or pack a picnic and enjoy some outdoor music. Sounds like a pretty perfect evening to me!
- dancing – Dancing at a club: $$$ Dancing in your living room: FREE! Make a playlist of your songs, light some candles, and dance the night away. Wear your wedding shoes! Those things are probably DYING to be worn! Or wear your pajamas. Who cares? The point is to spend time together, right?
- local beach – If you’re by water, it’s likely you can find a free beach (or a pretty cheap one). You could bring some food and spend the day, or you could just take a walk by the water. Rivers make for excellent walking/paddling dates, too, if you’re so inclined.
There’s also nothing wrong with scheduling some time for a make-out session. Remember when things were a bit simpler, and kissing was just, like, the best thing? That’s how I feel about it, anyway. Go back to the basics. Spend some time holding hands and making out. 🙂